Search

Content

February 14, 2013

Zoey Marie Smith

I've been wanting to start a new blog for a long time now, and what better way than to share pictures of our sweet new baby. I finally took a few newborn photos today, which proved to be a little harder and more time consuming than I planned, but so worth it! We're going to try round two in a few days, so there will be plenty more pictures of this sweet little girl soon.

  
For those interested in the "birth story," I'll share the condensed version. When I went to my 36 week appointment, my doctor was a little concerned that the baby was measuring small. They did an ultrasound right away and it confirmed that she was measuring small. They also did a no stress test and everything still looked fine. My doctor wanted me to see a specialist in Idaho Falls to do a more accurate ultrasound, so we went on Jan. 28. They also confirmed that she was small and were also concerned about the fluid levels being a little low. With all this along with my history of having a stillborn, they had plenty of reason to induce me. I was 37 weeks (full term) two days later on the 30th, so my doctor had us come in then. They started inducing me at 9am and I was dilated 2cm. At 11am my water broke and I was dilated 4cm. At 11:15am the contractions really kicked in gear and I asked for an epidural, which I happily got at 11:45-ish. Around 1pm the contractions got intense again, (even with the epidural) and I was fully dilated. And at 1:31pm she was born. I couldn't believe how fast things went! She weighed 5lbs and was 18.75" long. Because she was small and considered late preterm, she had to go to the NICU for observation. So I got a quick glimpse of her and that head of hair we weren't expecting, and she was off to the NICU for 6 hours. It took us a day to decide on a name since the names we had in mind didn't quite fit her. Lance thought of Zoey a day or two before she was born and that was the one that fit. It took me a while to commit to it only because I didn't mull over it for nine months, like I did with the other names. But I love it now and it totally fits her.


 

(I hesitated sharing the above pictures because I look beat. But I realized it's partly the lighting and no one looks good with extreme overhead lighting, right? We'll just blame it on that anyway :) )






15 comments:

  1. She is beautiful. Isn't it amazing how you know what their name should be when you see them. I had several names for Jillian. Welcome to this great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow I am in love with these photos of her! So sweet! And yay for a new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh you guys, she is just beautiful. Seriously, nice job. Hope everything is going well, getting some sleep, and giving her lots of kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos of a beautiful baby! I love her name too. And Kelly, you look fantastic after just giving birth! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kelly, these pictures are just precious. You and Lance have an adorable little girl. I couldn't be more excited for you guys! Love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the name "Zoey" and it does fit her perfectly, she is gorgeous like her Momma! We couldn't be any happier that she is finally here and part of the family. We love you guys so much, and can't wait to meet little Miss Zoey very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her:) Can't wait to meet that little princess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Kelly, what a wonderful story. Oh I love that you have a new blog. She is so adorable, and honestly you look awesome! Thank you so much for sharing with us! What a blessing she is :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so in love with these pictures! Can't wait to see more! She is so beautiful and you look great! Congratulations on this sweet new blessing in your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zoey is such a beautiful little princess. Very worth opening a blog for. Love the pictures as well. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So in love with this little girl. she is beautiful and we are so happy for your beautiful little family:-) love you guys and cant wait to meet you little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These photos are so Kelly. Classic, beautiful, sweet. Thanks for sharing. We are looking forward to April. Also some of Lance in there too,... cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Connor has to see her pictures at least once a day. We're so in love with her already! She's a little sweet angel. Can't wait to see all of you!

    ReplyDelete